Sunday, March 27, 2011

DVD PICK OF THE WEEK - TOKYO STORY

Now I know it's been a while since my last DVD Pick of the Week but it's really been a pretty slow period for new Asian cinema. The Asain movie season is pretty much like ours in that summer is when most of the blockbusters are released. Although I have picked up some recent dvd titles there has been nothing really deserving of my honorable "Pick of the Week". There are many that feel I just watch martial arts movies but that's really not the case as I watch many classic pieces of cinema as well. Because of this slow period I have been exploring a lot of older, classic pieces of Japanese cinema. One film I had heard about and recently saw is a 1953 release from noted Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu titled "Tokyo Story". This movie is as relevant today as the day that it was released in that it shows aging parents and how their kids and grand children have little time for them. It also explores how selfish children can be at times. A classic piece of cinema that I thoroughly enjoyed. The one to get? Why the two disc release from Criterion of course. Enjoy the trailer or check out the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment