Tuesday, May 4, 2010

JAZZ CD PICK OF THE WEEK - ELVIN JONES / JIMMY GARRISON SEXTET


This weeks long overdue Jazz CD Pick of the Week is the Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison Sextet with the recording Illumination! Now I still own this on vinyl and had purchased it when it originally came out. Actually, when I had taken the bus to the ghetto to buy some jazz (see previous blog post) the guy behind the counter recognized a hipster when he saw one (me) and gave me the album to take home. He said if I liked it I could pay him the next time I came in. All I can say is this man knew what he was talking about! This is basically the John Coltrane rhythm section and features three different horn players. Now I had seen this previously on cd and passed on it because it was kind of pricey, now I can't seem to find it anymore. Well to my surprise I found the entire album on iTunes for about $6. Oh yeah! My favorite cut is the tune titled Half and Half and features Charles Davis on Baritone Sax. Anyway, check it out!
http://www.amazon.com/Illumination-Elvin-Jones/dp/B0000065KJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1273033297&sr=8-3

No comments:

Post a Comment