Sunday, May 2, 2010

RIDING THE BUS TO THE GHETTO FOR JAZZ


I have been a jazz music lover since way back when I was a youngster in High School. Now at the time the local record store in my neighborhood was ok but it really didn't have that big of a jazz selection. For a hipper selection I would have to go across town. This meant taking a bus to the ghetto! What? So off this kid from the suburbs would go as I hopped the bus to the ghetto (or at least I thought it was the ghetto at the time). Located at Orange Grove and Fair Oaks in Pasadena, I would make the long bus ride in the pursuit of hip music. Once I finally reached my destination I was surrounded by Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Art Blakey, and many other hip jazz artists. I would then make my purchases with my saved up lunch money, wait for the bus (without getting mugged), and then take the long ride home. Always an unforgettable experience. HAHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment