Wednesday, January 12, 2011

JAZZ CD PICK OF THE WEEK - ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM


This past weekend I was doing one of my favorite pastimes which is shopping for used cd's. I noticed one guy was having a 50% off sale on all of his jazz and his cd's are typically only $5 to begin with. What? Yep, jazz cd's for only $2.50! Oh yeah! I can say I spent a good amount of time going through all of his stuff that he had laid out and walked away with a stack of music. One of the gems I picked up is this cd titled "The Antonio Carlos Jobim Songbook". Now you have to be from another planet if you hadn't heard one of the big hits from this cd, "The Girl From Ipanema". Basically this cd is the songs of Jobim performed by a variety of jazz artists. Some of the great artists on this cd include: Stan Getz, Sarah Vaughan, Billy Eckstine, Wes Montgomery, Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, Dizzy Gillespie and more! Now I had seen this cd many times before but had passed on it. It might have been the cheezy artwork on the cover that turned me off, I dunno. Maybe the $2.50 price enticed me this time. Not hip to the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim? Here is Wes Montgomery playing one of the cuts of this cd titled, "Insensatez" and here is Astrud Gilberto with Stan Getz performing the classic, "The Girl From Ipanema". Check it out and hip up!

No comments:

Post a Comment