Thursday, August 20, 2009

JAZZ ARTIST OF THE WEEK - DEXTER GORDON


This weeks Jazz Artist of the Week is the great tenor sax player Dexter Gordon. Dexter is one of my top five favorite sax players and his great big sound is instantly recognizable. The well known photo of Dexter shown here was taken back in 1948 and I'm sure is familiar to many of you.
Dexter recorded a large number of albums over his career but to me his best work were the things he recorded for the Blue Note label. Any cd you pick up by Dexter on Blue Note is a definite winner. I especially like the cd's One Flight Up or Go. You can also try and find the out of print box set, Dexter Gordon The Complete Blue Note Recordings. Of course this is the one that I own! HAHA!
Anyway, here is a video of Dexter live in Copenhagen in 1971. Listen to the unmistakable sound of Dexter as he casually warms up and then hits the stage to perform Those Were The Days My Friend. Great stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment