Tuesday, April 10, 2012

WHAT IT BE LIKE - HUH?

Now I know I have blogged several times in the past about people that use old slang and I am sad to report that there is just no end to it. People seems to do this all the time! The other day at work someone said to me "Hey SAXOMAN, what it be like". Huh? What? Are you talking to me? Now I have to say that I haven't heard this expression in many, many years. I was stunned! Shocked! I didn't know how to respond. I was speechless. My co-worker just looked at me, shook his head and walked away. I guess he figured I was just ignoring him. Little did he know that I was shocked at this retro slang being thrown my way. HAHA!

3 comments:

  1. I dunno, I think it's only bad if it's "recently expired" slang. Like saying she's "all that and a bag of chips". But, I actually enjoy it when old '30s slang is dusted off: "This place is lousy with cops"(for example). I'll let "groovy" go, but not "out-of-sight". Ya dig, daddio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about the kids today who use old slang and think it's new. The other day my boss' kid said " it is what it is ". So I said how come you kids today don't think of your own cool sayings and he said what do you mean. I said " it is what it is " is from the 70's. I then went on to say The first time I ever heard it was on the TV show called " THAT'S MY MAMA " and on the show was a guy named junior ( The neighborhood hoodlum ) who walked into the barber shop and said
    " If it is what it is.......... then it is "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry but SAXOMAN is going to have to disagree on this one. I don't think "it is what it is" is considered slang at all. This is just an everyday, common expression that is used by all.

    ReplyDelete