Tuesday, December 21, 2010

CULTURAL ASSIMILATION (OR HE DONE TURNED INJUN)


I like to travel a lot with the wife and one of the things we like to do when we travel is assimilate to the culture. Basically we tend not to do the typical tourist things like stay in fancy resorts or 5 star hotels. We want to really experience the country, the culture, and the local food. We tend to mingle amongst the people and go where the locals go and eat where the locals eat. There are people I know that go to another country and never leave their luxurious resort. I mean you don't have to travel thousands of miles to stay in a nice hotel so what's the point? Now as you recall in Dances With Wolves, Kevin Costner had found happiness while adopting to the Indian way of culture and living. When he was finally captured they could only surmise that "he done turned injun". Tom Cruise also experienced this in The Last Samurai where he found peace, tranquility and discipline living amongst the Samurai warriors.
Now it may be a little hard for me to blend in physically with some of these other cultures due to my height and complexion, I still try my best. Anyway, all SAXOMAN can recommend is that when visiting another country, experience life as the locals do.

No comments:

Post a Comment