Friday, December 3, 2010

JAZZ CD PICK OF THE WEEK - MILES DAVIS


This weeks Jazz CD Pick of the Week is Miles Davis with the cd titled Four and More (Recorded Live In Concert). Now I must say that I own a ton of Miles Davis recordings and was shocked to find out I didn't have this cd in my vast collection. How could this be? I looked the cd over and over, looked at the track listing, looked at my iPod and nothing! What? Classic 1964 jazz and I don't have it? Now adding to the confusion was that I had the Miles cd titled My Funny Valentine which is Part 1 of this concert but there is another cd titled My Funny Valentine and Four and More which is Part 1 and 2 of the entire concert. Jeez....how confusing. So once I figured out that I only needed the second part of the concert I picked up this cd. This cd features the Miles group with a young Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams and George Coleman on tenor sax. This cd sizzles as the group burns through classic tunes such as So What, Walkin', Seven Steps to Heaven and more! The group plays these tunes at a tempo much faster than normal and there are a couple possible reasons for this. Just before the gig Miles informed the group that they wouldn't be getting paid for the gig since it was a benefit for the Civil Rights movement. The group was furious and took out their anger on the music. Now either the group played these tunes faster than normal just to be done with them but I think they played them fast because they were so angry with not getting paid. Either way, a great set of Miles music that you need to check out! Not hip to this cd? Well check out the link to hear some samples!

No comments:

Post a Comment