Wednesday, February 9, 2011

TRILOGIES AND SEQUELS - WHY DO SO MANY FALL FLAT?


I got to thinking the other day about all of the movie sequels and trilogies that have been made and why so many off them never seem to measure up to the first movie. I believe that the "planned" trilogies seem to be much better versus those that get made just because a movie was successful. These planned trilogies have the entire plot and story laid out before filming of the first movie and are typically based on books. These seem to flow better (to me) than some of the other unplanned types of trilogies. One type of planned trilogy that I think worked really well (although I'm not a big fan) is the Lord of the Ring trilogy. I think back to Godfather I and II and how good these were and then how III was a disaster. I think back to Rush Hour I and II and how lousy number III was. I think of Infernal Affairs I and how II and III should never have been made. Now occasionally you will see the second movie be the bad one and then they make up for it in the third installation (Example: A Chinese Ghost Story - see photo). When Transformers II came out I thought it was way too much and really bad compared to number I so I hear they are trying to correct that in the upcoming third part. There are exceptions to the rules as I am a fan of the Rocky movies and felt that Rocky I, II, III and IV were all good but they could have done without number V. Now I am sure there a ton of other sequels and trilogies out there that you can think of but I just wanted to rant about a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment