Saturday, August 25, 2012

BROOKSIDE PARK ON A SUNDAY AFTERNON

Now way, way back in the day the place to be on a Sunday afternoon was Brookside Park in Pasadena, CA. Situated right next to the world famous Rose Bowl this was a weekly ritual and the place to be. There were some that actually preferred Farnsworth Park in Altadena but that wasn't really where it was at. Now actually no one ever hung out inside the park but the actual spot for everyone was the outside parking lot. Here guys and girls would strut their stuff while the guys would show off their rides. I would see people early in the days washing and waxing their cars while girls and guys (what?) would have their hair in curlers getting ready for the day. Now because this was in the "Superfly era" you would see a lot of big pimpin' cars such as Cadillacs, El Dorado's (my fave) and Lincoln Continentals. You would also see various low riders (typically Chevy Impalas), the New Breed car club with their lowridin' Volkswagons and occasionally the Chosen Few ( a motorcycle gang). You would also see a variety of sports cars such as MG's, Fiat's and Triumphs where brothers would proudly cruise proclaiming "look at me, I'm not a tack head". What? HAHA (sorry but this is probably more of a local joke). You know who you are! A quick trip to Ike and Sam's Liquor Store in Altadena would get you hooked up with "The Bull" (Schlitz Malt Liquor). Anyway, SAXOMAN spent many a Sunday afternoon hangin' out, leanin' against the "ride" and trying to look hard! HAHA!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! forgot about tackheads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SAXOMAN, I was there in the parking lot trying to show off my '66 Mustang 289 3 speed with Baby Moons (the Cragar deal fell through, so the guy gave me Baby Moons....he was my nemesis after that fiasco!) I used to be a box boy at Market Basket on Fair Oaks, where I would pick up some Right Time (one of the original wine coolers), pop in my eight track tape Muntz of course, and turn on my color bars bumpin to Runaway Child by the Temps. Trying to look hard, and not a tack head! But back then, we would get lock jaw trying to talk to the fine women.So no one talked to them and they ended up alone like the rest of us! Haha, classic memories once more!
    Jazzman

    ReplyDelete
  3. forget "THE BULL" I had to have "MD 2020"

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOA! MD2020 was hardcore. That was up there with Old English.

    ReplyDelete