Friday, September 28, 2012

GYM CLASS - NOT FUN FOR ALL

Now on a serious note - I was thinking the other day way back when I was in Junior High and had to go to gym class. Now for me gym class wasn't a big deal or a traumatic experience because I was a somewhat athletic kid. I was good at baseball and pretty good at other sports as well. No, what really sticks out in my mind was the kids that weren't so lucky to be athletic or may have been a little overweight. These kids had it really tough and I remember feeling sorry for these kids. These were the kind of kids that were the last ones to be picked when team were selected. As a class you typically would all have to line up and do the particular activity of the day (rope climbing, high jumping, the horse, running, hurdling, etc.) Now the kids that couldn't do these activities well were typically made fun of as well as being publicly humiliated before the entire class. We had to do these activities several times adding to the trauma. I remember seeing a chubby kid try and do the high jump, landed on the bar and then the stand holding the bar ends up falling on him. Really bad stuff......Anyway, I don't know if gym class is the same today or if things have changed. I only hope that these kids are ok today and not scarred for life as gym class was for some, not a very good experience.

2 comments:

  1. This story reminds me of a gym class story. In high school I had gym class for first period. That wasn’t so bad until it was swimming. I was in a panic! Now girls with natural curly hair will understand my dilemma. How do I keep my hair dry while swimming so I don’t look like a frizzy mess for the rest of the day? This is back in the late 60’ when long, straight hair was “IN” and we had no blow dryers (only if you wanted to stick your head under the hand dryer.)

    What was my solution? I wrapped my hair in a shammy (Google it) and then placed a bathing suit cap on. And, of course, I only put my head under water if the teacher was looking. My hair did stay dry and smooth; however, I am not the best swimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HMMMM.....Interesting but getting ones hair wet hardly qualifies as the suffering that many went through.

    ReplyDelete