Sunday, September 22, 2013

SKIP - SKIP - SKIP

I was listening to the radio the other day and heard the song Ooh Child by The Five Stairsteps. Now this song made me remember an incident many, many years ago when this song first came out. I went to my local record store (Canterbury Records in Pasadena) and picked up the 45 single of this song. I think I rode my bike to get there but not really sure. Anyway, I get home anxiously awaiting to listen to my new purchase and instead I hear SKIP - SKIP - SKIP. Yep, you guessed it. The record was skipping all over the place. Jeez.....so I believe I rode all the way back and they gave my another replacement record. So I get home and again SKIP - SKIP - SKIP. Auuuuggghhh! What's going on? I complained to my Dad cuz I didn't know what to do. So he drives my down there and they put the record on and it plays perfect. The guy at the store tells my Dad it must be the needle of the turntable. Oh great! So my Dad wasn't too happy that he had to buy a new needle for my turntable and he wasn't shy about let me know of his unhappiness. I go home and put the new needle on and then put on the record. Here we go......nice smooth, mellow soul music but then SKIP - SKIP - SKIP. What the???? I changed the needle, changed the record and it still skips! So there I was. A new needle, a new record and it still skips. There the record sat unplayed for many, many years until I finally got rid of it. I don't think I ever bought a replacement for this record. Oh well......Anyway, now I know many of you have heard this song many times but have you ever seen the group performing it? Well here are The Five Stairsteps singing OOH CHILD.

No comments:

Post a Comment