Saturday, December 19, 2009

SO BACK WHEN I WAS PIMPIN'..........WHAT???


OK, now let me first clarify that I wasn't actually pimpin' but I did have the fur coat. What??? Anyway, here's how it all went down. I was a kid in high school and needed to get a jacket so my Mom took me to the store to buy a jacket. I think she might have taken me to Montgomery Wards or some other similar store. My Mom was steering me towards the square conservative jackets while one beauty caught my eye right away. There before me was a black, double breasted, three quarter length, fake fur coat. Man, I thought that was the coolest coat ever. I would be just like Iceberg Slim (a well know pimp and author in the 70's) and I'd also be the coolest kid on campus. So after trying on several jackets, I kept going back to the fur coat and posing' in the mirror. My Mom must have thought I was crazy and finally relented (what was she thinking?) and off we went. Now when I got home I can tell you when my Dad saw this coat, he showed no mercy whatsoever. He didn't think of this coat as being cool or as something that a pimp would wear but he felt it was only something that a woman or a homosexual would wear. His remarks about this coat were brutal. Obviously he didn't know what cool was! I remember trying this coat on at home with my slacks and my black patent leather shoes (or Pilgrim shoes as my younger brother liked to call them) and looking in the mirror. Everything looked cool except, well the person that was wearing this stuff. It just didn't go with me or my ethnicity if you know what I mean. Anyway, I never had the nerve to wear this coat out in public fearing ridicule and public humiliation. I think I kept the coat for about two weeks and my Mom finally took it back. I seem to remember her not having the receipt or something like that. I dunno.......Anyway, that's the story of the fur coat. I finally did get a jacket but it was an old one someone had left behind at my Mom's work. Oh well.......

6 comments:

  1. Shoulda took a photo while you had it! I have a similar tale but with a Nehru shirt! Orange! Had to get it, it was all the rage. But as I got to school I chickened out and tossed it into the cloak room. Never wore it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! I don't remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew SAXOMAN was an old school playa from 'Dena! My Mom wouldn't let me go near one of those coats, even though I wanted one. Speaking of tb's Nehru shirt story, here is a real old school outfit. In 5th grade when I lived in LA, I had a shark skin "Hoodlum Priest" jacket. Now that is old school. It looked liked a nehru a little bit, but you can see some of those suits on the early Temptations and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles in the day.
    We had style.......
    Jazzman

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH YEAH......MY MANY READERS ARE SHOWING THEIR HIPNESS! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the nehru look!

    ReplyDelete