Saturday, December 3, 2011

JAZZ CD PICK OF THE WEEK - JIMMY SMITH


This weeks Jazz CD Pick of the Week is by the great Jazz organist Jimmy Smith. This cd is simply titled "Standards" and is a simple trio of organ, guitar and drums. Now I have to confess that for quite a while I had steered clear of trio recordings. I always felt that something was missing, like a sax or trumpet. But this? This is a smooth as satin and as soft as butter. Jazz musicians interacting at the highest level. With Kenny Burrell on guitar and Donald Bailey on drums this recent purchase was a pleasant surprise. Now I have to say I've been a fan of Jimmy Smith for quite a while and currently own 11 of his cd's (mostly the Blue Note releases). The recordings he did with Stanley Turrentine are must haves for any jazz lovers collection. Anyway, here's one of the many great tracks from this cd. Check it out and you will know what SAXOMAN is talking' about.

No comments:

Post a Comment