Tuesday, November 24, 2009

MY THIRD JOB - BUSTIN' SUDS AGAIN...WHAT?


OK, now way back on 5/6/09 I told you about my first job (delivering newspapers) and on 5/27/09 I told you about my second job (bustin' suds), now I want to tell you about my third job, bustin' suds again! What? Yes, it's true. Here's the story: Armed with a high school diploma and thankful to be done with school, I was ready to tackle the world! The only problem is that I had no real experience at anything other than bustin' suds (washing dishes) and I was kind of a knucklehead as well. I remember looking in the classifieds for a job and also going to the Unemployment Office as well and not having any luck. I just couldn't understand why no one would want to hire an unskilled, uneducated knucklehead like me. One day after leaving the Unemployment Office I noticed an Employment Agency close by and went to check it out. I told them of my vast experience (bustin' suds) and they said they had just the job for me. What? Really? The only problem is you have to pay us 75% of your first months wages! What? Are you serious? Is this legal? Well......with little options on the horizon I took them up on their offer and soon found myself bustin' suds at a Respiratory Hospital in Altadena and lemme tell you, this was one miserable job. The hours were horrible in that they consisted of split shifts meaning I started at 6:30AM and worked to about 1:00PM and then had to leave and come back and work from 4:30PM to 6:30PM. A really bad job and I can tell you that I looked just like the guy in this picture. Some of the many things I had to do were: load the trays with the correct food, deliver the food on a large cart to the proper areas, wash a ton of dishes after each meal, put away the food in the stockroom, make the salads, fill the Coke machine (an upcoming blog topic), make the coffee, clean the kitchen, and do any number of other things that my nutty boss decided she needed done. This job was no fun at all and I think I may have done this for at least a year if not longer. Oh yeah, I think I made about $3 an hour, if that. Jeez.....I sure can't imagine any kids working like this today.

1 comment:

  1. Wow $3 an hour was not too bad back in '73. I made $98 for 40 hours. A little inflation wouldn't you say?!@

    ReplyDelete