Wednesday, March 11, 2009

THE BEST DECADE FOR MUSIC



There are those that thought the best decade of music was the 60's (British invasion, Motown) or the 80's (Heavy Metal Bands) but for me the best decade of music was and always will be the 70's.


The music being made in the 70's is timeless and to me some of the best music that was ever made. Let me give you some examples of some of the artists who were making great music at this time. I'm sure I am forgetting several artists but I'm sure my many readers will let me know.


  • SOUL and FUNK - Ohio Players (pictured), Tower of Power, Mandrill, Kool and the Gang, Parliament, Slave, Earth, Wind and Fire, The Commodores, James Brown, Donny Hathaway, The Dramatics, War, Average White Band, Sun, Bootsy Collins, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Isley Brothers, GQ, Gil Scott Heron as well as "love groups" such as the Delfonics, Temprees, Blue Magic, Stylistics, Whatnauts, Black Ivory, Chi-Lites
  • REGGAE - Bob Marley was putting out his best music in the 70's although I knew nothing about him at the time
  • SALSA - The latin salsa coming out of New York in the 70's is timeless (Willie Colon. Hector Lavoe, Celia Cruz, Tito Puente)
  • AFRICA - The jazz funk sounds of Fela Kuti
  • JAZZ - Jazz music suffered in the 70's as the artists (above) overwhelmed the scene. Jazz at this time was undergoing a jazz funk phase with releases on CTI and KUDU being extremely popular although not my particular cup of tea in a lot of cases.

I rest my case. Some may disagree but for me the 70's was some of the best music ever made!

3 comments:

  1. 65-75 is actually the "best decade", at least for rock & roll. Homer said something to that effect, "Rock music was perfected in 1976, everybody knows that"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that may be TB however there will be no Rock & Roll discussions on this blog as I plead complete ignorance to this genre of music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? I never knew, that there were another years of music before and after the 70's.!! Thannks for educating me. You'rs sooooooooooo right. And your music taste is great.

    ReplyDelete