Monday, March 30, 2009

JAZZ ARTIST OF THE WEEK - CANNONBALL ADDERLEY

This weeks jazz artist is alto sax player Cannonball Adderley. Cannonball was a saxophonist that always kept the music swingin' and soulful. Cannonball was a member of the great Miles Davis group with John Coltrane before striking out on his own with his brother Nat. Cannonball's music is always a joy to listen to as it is always swingin' and hip.
Now I thought I was pretty hip to Cannonball's recordings and have 18 cd's by him currently in my collection. I must say though that I was caught completely off guard by some of these release (pictured) that I knew absolutely nothing about! How could this be? A hip guy like me? I believe most of these have never been released on cd and are only available on rare vinyl if you can find them. The lp Love, Sex, and The Zodiac features narration by Rick Holmes. Now most of you are probably not old enough to know but Rick Holmes was the premiere DJ on the Los Angeles jazz station KBCA (105.1) in the early 70's. KBCA then became KKGO and is now KKJZ (88.1 in Long Beach). Anyway, Rick Holmes had the 6:00PM - 9:00PM time slot during the week and played the hippest jazz anywhere! I used to listen to his show (Rick's Affair) every week night.









Anyway, check out http://myjazzworld.blogspot.com/
for downloads of these rare recordings. Too lazy to do that?
Then check out some video of my man, Cannonball Adderley and get hip!

No comments:

Post a Comment