Friday, March 6, 2009

BLU-RAY?


OK, so what's the deal with Blu-ray dvd's? I go into Best Buy and they have a split screen monitor with a blurry dvd playing on one side of the screen (regular dvd) and a crystal clear image on the other side of the screen (Blu-ray dvd). Now I don't believe that my regular dvd's look as bad as this demonstration shows. I could be wrong but I really don't believe it. I really think it's just a marketing ploy to suck us all in.

I wonder how many people have hopped on the Blu-ray bandwagon? I know it's supposed to be much better quality and all that but how much better quality do we all need?
I have yet to go to this Blu-ray format as I believe it is just another way for you to re-buy things you have already bought once or twice before.

A few years back I had bought some SACD (Super Audio CD's) and I really didn't notice any difference in sound quality between a normal cd. These SACD's as you may have noticed have quickly disappeared as the iPod and the more compressed music files really took over the market.

I was in Target the other day browsing the dvd's and saw Blu-ray discs for $29.99 and these were for crappy movies that I felt bad when I had spent $4 to rent the movie. I guess you could go to the Blu-ray format and just rent movies but for now I think the Blu-ray discs are way over priced.

I see that Blu-ray dvd players have gotten a lot cheaper however the all region dvd players are still around $500. Because I am into Asian cinema (see site name) I need an all region dvd player that can play dvd's from all countries so until these come down to an affordable level I will be a spectator to the Blu-ray game.
Maybe some of my many readers can convince me otherwise but I doubt it!

2 comments:

  1. There are also "DVD-audio" discs, music on a dvd, supposedly better quality. I guess if you have a 70" screen or something maybe you can appreciate a blue ray dvd, I don't know. I'm thinking of the Simpsons, at the dump there is a pile of Beta Max videotapes, a pile of Laserdiscs, and a place set aside for DVDs (the next obsolete format)So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of the DVD-Audio discs (Bob Marley) and although they are in the "surround sound format" I can't load them into iTunes limiting the playability to my home theater.

    ReplyDelete