Tuesday, March 17, 2009

ZATOICHI - THE BLIND SWORDSMAN


Although I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about Asian cinema I must admit that I have very little Japanese cinema in my collection for some reason. The one Japanese title I want to talk about today is Zatoichi - The Blind Swordsman. The character of Zatoichi is a blind masseur who also happens to be a master swordsman as well (go figure). As he wanders from town to town Zatoichi rights the wrongs and fights evil along the way. Zatoichi's samurai sword is hidden inside his cane and he is extremely lethal with his sword!

The original Zatoichi movie first aired in 1962 and spawned a total of 25 subsequent sequels (and you thought there were a lot of Rocky sequels). In addition Zatoichi spun off into a television series of the same name and aired for 112 episodes. I currently only own the first four movies and a few of the television episodes but I expect this number to grow in the very near future. Anyway, check out Zatoichi when you get a chance. You will not be disappointed!

The link below will take you to a listing of all Zatoichi films made.
http://www.momii.com/zatoichi/faqs.html#listing


Check out some video of my man Zatoichi

No comments:

Post a Comment