Tuesday, July 7, 2009

JAZZ ARTIST OF THE WEEK - HORACE SILVER

This past weekend I picked up a Horace Silver cd (The Jody Grind) and it got me to thinking of what other Horace cd's I have in my collection. A quick check shows that I "only" have 10 cd's by Horace Silver. Anytime I come across something by Horace that I don't have I usually end up picking it up. Every Horace cd I have bought has been a swingin' recording and typically features an all-star lineup. Because of this, pianist Horace Silver is my pick for Jazz Artist Of The Week. For those of you squares that are not hip to Horace Silver then all I can say is go check him out and see what you've been missing!
Here is a video of Horace performing one of his biggest hits - A Song For My Father. This is a live and slightly edited version but definitely worth checking out!

2 comments:

  1. You did it again Saxoman. One of my favorite tunes by Horace Silver. Our jazz group in High Scool played this song at the Talent Show at Pasadena Civic Auditorium in 1971. Yes, we won. Chord changs are common in many songs today. Unbridled classic!
    Jazzman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see we have a Horace Silver fan out there. Yes, this is a Horace classic that never grows old. Congrats on the talent show as well.
    SAXOMAN

    ReplyDelete