Saturday, July 11, 2009

SMOKING? - NOT FOR SAXOMAN


When I was in Junior High school all of the so called "cool" kids were smoking cigarettes. Because I wanted to act and look cool as well, I started smoking cigarettes too. Yes, SAXOMAN was a smoker. Oh no! First I would sneak a few of my Dad's unfiltered Lucky Strikes (yuk!) and then I started buying Marlboro cigarettes at various cigarette machines. I really thought I was one cool kid puffing away like a grown up.
When the busing and integration started (see post of 7/6) I switched over to Kool (menthol)cigarettes so that I could be even cooler. HAHA! Actually smoking Kool's was a way of acceptance and instead of getting hit up for my lunch money I would get hit up for a Kool cigarette instead.
Now I was smart enough to only smoke for a few years before I wised up and quit this terrible habit. As a sax player I felt that smoking was detrimental to my lung capacity. I know other people that never were able to quit smoking and have smoked since they were teenagers.
I really feel sorry for these people as I am a pretty anti-smoking guy now and only look on with disgust at people that continue with such a self destructive habit. Anyway, just my two cents on smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment