Friday, July 31, 2009

JAZZ / FUNK CD PICK OF THE WEEK - FUNK INC.


This weeks Jazz/Funk CD Pick Of The Week (or Soul/Jazz as some like to call it) is the debut release by Funk Inc. titled Funk Inc. This is available as one cd with one of their other albums titled Chicken Licken (another good release!) This album originally came out in the early 70's and I had the original LP.
In High School I had a class called Audio Visual where we would go and run the projectors for teachers that needed to show films to the students. When there were no films to be shown we would hang out in our class listening to music. One day I brought this album to class raving about how good it was. Everyone looked at me with skepticism as they had never heard of this group. I dropped the needle down on track 1 (Kool Is Back) and all jaws dropped! Everyone looked at each other with a "what the hell" look on their faces. They then studied the album cover and looked at me with jaws still dropped. How could this guy SAXOMAN know about something so hip that we were completely unaware of? Well, as you know my mission of hipping the unhip goes way, way back. Anyway, one of the guys asked to borrow the album so they could listen to it at lunchtime in the "Blue Note Room" where only the hippest jazz music was played. I said "sorry but I don't lend out my vinyl but I can bring it by at lunchtime".
At lunchtime I showed up at the Blue Note Room with album in hand and everyone looking at me with a "what the hell is this guy doing here" look.
I pulled out the album, dropped the needle down on track 1 and once again, all jaws dropped. Everyone was shocked at what a hip piece of music they had never heard before. I then left with album in hand and some much needed respect in the hipness society of High School.
Anyway, go to the Amazon link below to hear some samples from this great cd! Especially check out the song Kool Is Back. Too funky!
http://www.amazon.com/Funk-Inc-Chicken-Lickin/dp/B000000ZER/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249081774&sr=8-1
The video is another track from this great cd. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment