Saturday, October 3, 2009

GETTIN' FUNKY AT THE L.A. COUNTY FAIR (ONE MORE TIME)

After a long first week of working and commuting (ugh!) it was time to cut loose and enjoy some funk on Friday night at the Fair. Up first were The Brothers Johnson who threw it down with all of their hits. A really funky show. Now the Brothers Johnson are typically guitarist George and his brother Louis on bass. Standing in for Louis was a young cat who could really play the bass. I wondered what happened to Louis because when I saw him perform 2 years ago he was wearing one of those things on his wrist like when you have carpel tunnel syndrome. I can only guess that age and too much slappin' and poppin' of the bass with his thumb has taken its toll.
Up next were The Gap Band. Decked out in all white suits and matching white brims (cool) they preceded to rock the house. Playing all of their hits they put on a great show. I had never seen The Gap Band live and they really put on a funky show. I did have a few minor complaints though. I thought the set was a little too heavy on ballads and should have been more upbeat. You need to rock the crowd and not have people huggin' and smoochin' in the aisles (gross!) HAHA! The Gap Band also had four female dancers. This seems to be a growing trend with some of these bands and although the dancers are nice to look at and the choreography is cool, I just don't get the concept. To me it makes it feel like more of a Las Vegas type act when they do this. I think it cheapens and dilutes the show. I feel the music should speak for itself. I dunno......just my two cents. On a side note, if you look at the Gap Band photo (below) you notice they are all wearing cowboy hats. Now I have never understood brothers that wear cowboy hats. I would never wear one and I seriously doubt any brothers in the L.A. area would wear one either. It must be a southern thang.....I guess.


2 comments:

  1. You're right Saxoman. Real brothers do not wear cowboy hats. Fedoras, Panamas, Dobbs, Kangols (mostly back east and Samuel Jackson) and some nice no-names in various pastel colors. But under no circumstances cowboy hats (except when you're 5 years old and you have six shooters and boots to match!)
    I'm not going to say how the brothers look with those cowboy hats and shirts, but it is very suspect.........
    Jazzman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see my public agrees with me on this one.

    ReplyDelete