Tuesday, October 27, 2009

JAZZ CD PICK OF THE WEEK - JOHN COLTRANE


This weeks Jazz CD Pick of the Week is the classic recording by John Coltrane titled A Love Supreme. Now way back when I was first getting hip to jazz there were always three recordings that I constantly heard about. These were: Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew by Miles Davis and this recording by John Coltrane. Now I sadly have to admit that when I first bought this recording on vinyl and put it on I was definitely not ready for it. This was way too advanced for me and I couldn't get into it all. I moved the needle forward and forward to see if it changed much but it didn't. I put it away wondering what this recording was all about. Well I can say that over time as my ears developed and I began to be more open to jazz that was a little more free, I really began to enjoy this recording. Now it is one of my favorites. I have attached the first part of this recording but be cautioned that this is not for the casual jazz fan. Listen and enjoy! Which cd to buy? Why the Deluxe Edition with outtakes and the only known live recording of A Love Supreme! Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. One of my all time favorites. I have the vinyl, CD, gold CD,special edition CD. Can't get enough. The music has a spiritual quality to it that gets better with time. It shows that you can have church while listening to Jazz. Amazing recording.
    And you're right SAXOMAN, I could not get into it when it came out. It was too far out there, and I would rather listen to Smokey Robinson and the Miracles than some way out music that didn't make sense.
    Shows you how far I've come (or how far out I am!)
    Jazzman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear my thoughts on this are shared by my many (2? 3?) readers. A true classic recording!

    ReplyDelete