Wednesday, May 27, 2009

MY SECOND JOB - BUSTIN' SUDS


Back on May 6th I blogged about my very first job experience delivering newspapers (a horrible experience!). I would like to tell you now about my second job that I had when I was in High School and about 16 years old. I was bustin' suds (washing dishes) for an Italian restaurant in Pasadena. I can tell you that this was one horrible job as well! I worked from 6:00PM until approximately 1:30AM and received a grand total of $10 in pay! Yep! You heard right! Ten bucks!
When I would show up at 6:00PM the area was already flooded with dirty dishes and dirty pots and pans. I had waitresses yelling at me all night that they needed more water glasses, more silverware, more salad bowls, more plates, and on and on it went all night long. I also had the cooks yelling at me that they needed more pizza tins, more pots or pans, etc...etc..all night long.
When I finally had some down time and the dishes slowed down I had to slice salami and pepperoni and grate cheese and any number of other grueling tasks my boss would decide he wanted done. At the end of the night I had to sweep and mop the floors as well.
I can tell you that I worked extremely hard for those $10 and did this job for a lot longer than I should have. I saved every penny that I made and bought a stereo, a new tenor sax and then a new soprano sax. My friends were all buying cars (low riders) but I had my priorities. So there you have it, another chapter in my life and employment history.

2 comments:

  1. Hear the violin playing?......what do you think...you were the only one?....Bob's Big Boy,,,yaak...pots, pens, garbage mopping floors etc and the pay was $ 1.25 per hour....but I wanted big bucks so I went to work for Van De Kamps...here is where the big money was $ 1.35 an hour. Although the waitresses had a foot in the grave. I needed more money to pay for my expensive condo rent ...$ 50.00 / mo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO I GUESS SLAVE LABOR WAS RAMPANT ALL OVER WAY BACK WHEN.......I CAN SYMPATHIZE WITH YOU THERE HOMIE.
    OUT

    ReplyDelete