Sunday, May 24, 2009

SHOPPING AT AMOEBA MUSIC - IS THERE ANYTHING BETTER?


Since my graduation about a week ago I have had several gift certificates that were burning a hole in my pocket. Thank you to all that gave me these! Because of this I decided to take a trip to my favorite music store, Amoeba Music in Hollywood (see photo). It had been a while since my last visit so I decided to take the drive to Sunset Blvd. and do some long overdue cd shopping. I was able to find parking in the underground garage (which is rare) and there I was! As I walked in it was just sensory overload with cd's everywhere. Where to start? What to look for? Did I bring a list? Did I bring my iPod?
I grabbed a shopping basket and dived in head first to the Soul section. From there I moved to the Reggae section, then the Latin section and then hit the Jazz room. As I am always looking for a deal I will usually pass on the overpriced brand new cd's that they carry and instead focus on the ones that are used and a lot cheaper (more bang for the buck!). Anyway, after hitting all of these rooms I debated whether or not to go upstairs and look at the dvd's. OK, why not I said to myself.
Once up there I saw they now had a full martial arts section of dvd's and even had the dvd's separated by actor (Jet Li, Gordon Liu, Jackie Chan, Sonny Chiba, etc.) Aaughhhhh....get me outta here! I left the dvd section in a hurry as I already had way too many things in my basket.
I get to the cashier and pull out my gift certificates and the clerk tells me "I'm sorry but we don't accept American Express Gift Certificates"
WHAT!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? WHY NOT???
After I calmed down I said OK I'll put this back, and this back, and this back, etc..... By this time I was close to tears as to all the things I could no longer buy.
Anyway, I got out of there with several good things so I guess I should look at the positive side of it. I picked up several early Temptations cd's (how could I not have these?), Mandrill, Bobby Hutcherson, Los Amigos Invisibles, Tina Brooks, Cannonball Adderley, Ike Quebec, Eddie Lockjaw Davis. All and all a great day of shopping however I'm still thinking of all those good things I had to leave behind. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make another visit!
OH YEAH, AMOEBA ONE MORE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment