Saturday, September 26, 2009

CANTERBURY RECORDS IN PASADENA (YES, IT'S STILL THERE)

On Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena, CA sits Canterbury Records. This store has survived the times and is still going strong! Now according to the web site, Canterbury has been in business since 1956 but I'm not sure exactly how long the store has been at it's current location. I know that I have been going to the same location for as long as I can remember and I used to go there way back in the 60's (yes, a long, long time ago). I remember back then they had listening booths where you could listen to a record before you bought it. I remember my friends using the listening booths as a place to stuff 45's down their pants and steal them! What? I dunno.....I may have been guilty of doing this once myself. I blame it on peer pressure. Now I'm not sure if they actually sell records anymore but I can tell you they have a very well stocked selection of jazz cd's and the prices in most cases are very reasonable (typically $11.99 for classic Blue Note stuff). Of all the stores I have been shopping for jazz cd's I rank Canterbury right behind Amoeba in Hollywood.
If you're in the area I definitely recommend you check it out!

2 comments:

  1. I have loved Canterbury Records! I remember knowing them in that location since probably
    1968 or so. I did not know about them (or at least as memory serves me) prior to that time. It is nice to know they are still there with so many businesses not making it through our current economic down turn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is to support stores like this as well as Poo-Bahs in Pasadena and Penny Lane in Pasadena and any other independent music stores. If we dont, the only place to shop for cd's will be Best Buy and we all know what a sad selection of music they have. Nooooooo......

    ReplyDelete