Wednesday, September 23, 2009

STINKY FELIX


When I was a kid growing up in Junior High and High School a lot us kids used to escape to the mountains for the day. Because it was so close we could go exploring and do mischievous things without getting caught! Above Altadena, Pasadena, Sierra Madre and Hastings Ranch were many places to go exploring such as Eaton Canyon and "The Falls" (a big waterfall where kids used to hang out). Kids would go up there to get away from their parents, the cops or everybody. Now one thing I remember about those adventures is the name Stinky Felix. You would see the name Stinky Felix spray painted on rocks in the most remote areas you can imagine in these mountains. Now back then graffiti wasn't popular or something everybody did (unlike now) but there it was, Stinky Felix wherever you went. Now one day we actually met this guy who claimed to be Stinky Felix. We were in awe, like meeting a celebrity. He is real, he's not a myth, he does exist! We were star struck! Anyway, I'm sure there are many rocks in the San Gabriel mountains that still bear the spray painted name of Stinky Felix. All I can say is long live the legend of Stinky Felix!

7 comments:

  1. They're always talking about this "CHAKA" guy or something on the news, how he was the most prolific graffiti vamdal ever. But I only remember seeing Stinky Felix everywhere. You should have kicked his ass while you had the chance, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told ytou by E-mail now I will tell the world and least those who read your blog. Stinky Felix was everywhere and I mean everywhere. Iremember going on a trip to northern California and we stopped at a gas station in Fresno I went to the restroom when low and behold there was the famous STINKY FELIX LIVES on the wall and it suddenly occured to me that you can never be too far from home or that home is just a bathroom wall away. I will always remember that and thank you Felix. Well the story goes that one nioght after a night of working hard on his art work that Stinky came home by way of the bedroom window, His father thought he was being robbed took his weapon, went to the bedroom shot first and asked questions later only to find his answer lying on the bed. His son dead from the gunshot he fired. I cannot imagine what his father thought shooting his own son. Those who are ignorant and do not understand caligraphy will never understand what Felix Alvarado was doing and so to this day, as a tribute to Felix Alvarado I write on every dollar bill that I get STINKY FELIX LIVES

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an old picture of a wall in Sierra Madre Canyon that has Stinky Felix spray painted on. Maybe the only picture left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not the only picture--I took some photos of Stinky Felix rocks back in 1970-71 in Eaton Canyon. Just found them on b/w negatives and had them printed--haven't seen them in all that time. I'm going to scan them and put them up on my Facebook site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evan:
    Did you ever post those pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wondered about the man/myth of Stinky Felix and how he got up on the Suicide Bridge arch.

    ReplyDelete