Tuesday, September 15, 2009

LOWRIDING (BACK IN THE DAY)

Now way back in High School most of my friends drove lowriders. I was busy saving my money for a saxophone so a car was really secondary to me. For some odd reason most of my friends all bought 1958 Chevy Impalas (see photo). There must have been at least 10 friends that all drove 58 Impalas. Some of them would put hydraulic lifts in the front, back or all the way around. They actually were pretty cool looking cars and I always regret not having me a lowrider too! Anyway, because I didn't have a car I would make the long walk home from school each day. Frequently my friends would see me walking and offer me a ride. They would tell me to hop in the front passenger seat and I just thought they were being nice. I had no idea of the real reason for this at the time. What would happen next is that they would drive until they found the most unattractive, overweight girl that they could find walking home. They would then pull up right next to her with me right in her face (because I sat in the passenger seat) and proceed to bounce their car repeatedly with their hydraulic lifts as a way to "impress" the girl. Now I can tell you that when this happened I wanted to just die from embarrassment. I would bury my head in my hands, shaking my head repeating "noooo, noooo...... nooooo.....lemme out!" For some reason they all got a kick out of this and I can tell you that I fell for this trick more than once! HAHA!

3 comments:

  1. Saxoman,
    I wanted to be a Lowrider too, but we couldn't figure out how to do it with my 66 Mustang. So we just had to settle for souping up our rides with Muntz 4+4 tracks, color bars, racing Cams, glass packs, and Cragars....
    I was trying to race the Roadrunners, GTO's, and Challengers. But I got smoked every time...
    Long live Lowriders......
    Jazzman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, who can forget color bars, glass packs and of course Cragars. How about rabit ears, brake drums painted the same color as the car and the writing/painting on the rear window? Ahhh, the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I also forgot about doughnut or chain steering wheels, wheel well lights and the fat, phony whitewalls that were in for a little while.

    ReplyDelete